FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES-
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR PREPARATION OF AN ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (ESMP) FOR INTERVENTION TO SUPPORT LIVELIHOOD OPTIONS FOR THE MARADUN COMMUNITY AFFECTED DURING THE BAKOLORI DAM CONSTRUCTION
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES
TRANSFORMING IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT IN NIGERIA PROJECT
PROJECT ID NO: P123112
CREDIT NO: CR 5506-NG
ASSIGNMENT TITLE: PREPARATION OF AN ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (ESMP) FOR INTERVENTION TO SUPPORT LIVELIHOOD OPTIONS FOR THE MARADUN COMMUNITY AFFECTED DURING THE BAKOLORI DAM CONSTRUCTION
REFERENCE NO: (FMWR/TRIMING/202/CQS/CS/13/01)
DATE 21ST DECEMBER 2020.
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)-CONSULTING SERVICES (FIRMS SELECTION)
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) is currently implementing the Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria (TRIMING) Project with a credit received from the International Development Association (IDA) and it intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The TRIMNG Project Development Objective is to improve access to irrigation and drainage Services and to strengthen institutional arrangements for integrated water resources management and agriculture service delivery in selected large-scale public schemes in Northern Nigeria.
Objective of the Assignment: The specific objective of the study will be to assess the potential environmental and social impacts of the Maradun multiple livelihood intervention in agriculture-based livelihood activities project as described above in the scope of work and prepare a detailed Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP)
The scope of the services: The core tasks for the consultancy assignment shall include but not limited to the following:
1. Review existing documentation of the TRIMING Project, all relevant safeguards documents and the PAD, ESMP, PIM and Environmental and Social impact Assessment prepared for the Bakolori irrigation scheme, Zamfara State.
2. Review Environmental and Social Safeguards polices of the World Bank especially, the applicable polices triggered on the project.
3. Describe the proposed project by providing a systematic description of the project relevant component and presenting plans, maps (proposed works, base camps, environmental and social sensitivities, staging areas, alternative routes etc. with details of XY coordinates), figures and tables.
4. Identify and summarize the policy, legal and administrative framework relevant to the project.
5. Define and justify the proposed project study area for the assessment and management of environmental and social risks and impacts.
6. Describe and analyze the environmental, social physical, biological, occupational health and safety conditions in the study area before project implementation.
7. Identify and assess the risk of labor influx and GBV on the subproject as well as recommend mitigation measures in managing the risk and potential adverse impacts associated with labor influx and GBV.
8. Define the potential environmental and social impacts resulting from proposed project activities and appropriate mitigation/enhancement measures to prevent, minimize, mitigate, or ameliorate for adverse impacts or to enhance the project environmental and social benefits, including responsibilities and associated costs.
9. Define other monitoring and implementation roles to include creation of awareness on STDs such as HIV/AIDS and other STIs, VAC and child labor, forced labor and other contractual obligations
10. Review institutional framework for environmental and social management. Etc.
This assignment will have to be completed within a period of twelve (12) weeks commencing immediately after contract signing.